Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wisconsin

Well, here are the last of the updates from our great north country expedition with Gran and Papa. After leaving the Upper Peninsula, we headed into northern Wisconsin and camped for about 4 days near Hayward, WI. You may not have heard of Hayward, but this turns out to be the place where the international lumberjack competition is held every year. Also close by is the scenic Chippewa Flowage, where we camped for a couple of nights. I think this campground was universally agreed upon by us to be the best pace we stayed on our trip. We had a nice wooded campsite with a backyard....



and blackberry bushes!!!!





They also had a nice visitor lodge where you could rent Italian bikes. (We told our friends from Italy about this and they assured us that people do not actually ride these things in Italy).


You could also rent boats for $35 a day.  Here's Maggie on her first motor boat ride.



It's hard to see, but there is actually a bald eagle in this picture.  I'll try to find a better one.  It was hanging around one of the islands near our campsite.


The boat rental gave dad and I some time to fish.  The first day we caught a few small fish trolling, including a walleye and a small mouth bass.  We later found out that trolling is illegal in most of Wisconsin.  I have still not figured out why they have this law, other than to give cheap tickets to people form out of state.  Here was the big catch from the second day.  Look at the excitement on dad's face.


We didn't get many fish the second day, but it was a nice evening and we took some cool pictures.  Here are some geese flying low over the water.


Here's El Capitan workin the 8 horse.


Finally, here are some great sunset pictures we took on our way back to the campsite.






I have a few more pictures from Wisconsin that I'll post in a couple of days.

No comments:

Lucie Gymnastics Demo

 Lucie demonstrating her many gymnastics skills....