Gabby has informed me that I am now officially in charge of running the blog.
Along with my new responsibility, however, comes new opportunities. For example, all of you who read this blog on a regular basis will now be occasionally subjected to the unusual logic that I sometimes use to govern my day-to-day activities. I'll refer to these pearls of knowledge as "nuggets of wisdom."
Today's nugget begins with a vignette from my youth. When I was first learning how to shoot ducks in the air, my father instructed me to "put the bead [of the shotgun sights] on the head [of the duck], and [to] squeeze the trigger." One morning, I was hunting with my grandfather (Papa-T) on the Big Pond and, after missing a shot at a gray duck, I relayed my dad's advice to him. Papa-T replied: "I can't see that little ole' head like your dad. I just cover up the body and shoot." This does not mean that I ignore my father's advice (becuase he is usually right in the ways of killing ducks) but since that day, I have always taken Papa-T's approach, and my kill percentage has subsequently climbed dramatically.
The moral of the story (at least as perceived by my arguably twisted logic):
Don't get caught up in trying to always do a perfect job. For some jobs (i.e. killing ducks) it's sometimes sufficient to be a little sloppy.
Stated differently:
You can always spit the bullets out of the duck meat while you're eating. That's a lot better than trying to be perfect by shooting the duck in the head, missing it, and having no duck meat to eat.
Relevance:
I was reminded of this because I'm looking at all the random stuff laying around my apartment and I'm wondering whether I should put it in order, or just stuff it into the back of the U-haul. I'm currently leaning towards the latter, because if I don't, I'm liable to just start throwing stuff away and I wouldn't want to deprive myself of any "meat" at some later date.
So Gabby....if we get buried in a mountain of junk when I open up the U-haul in a few days, you can blame Papa-T - he's the reason I think like this.
2 comments:
Luckily, I was working when you had the pleasure of unloading the Uhaul. Score one for me :)
more nuggets please
Post a Comment