Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan

Sorry for our sporadic blog posting as of late, but I promise the next week will see several updates of our recent vacation with Gran and Papa. We took a two week road trip through several of the Great Lake states and saw large stretches of Michigan and Wisconsin that I had never before visited. Our trip started up the western side of the lower peninsula of Michigan and our first major destination was Sleeping Bear Dunes, a National Lakeshore along the scenic stretch of Lake Michigan coast near Traverse City. We picked a beautiful day to stroll the sandy beaches and crystal clear waters.  There was very little wind and the lake was glassy near the shore.





The water was so unbelievably clear, I snapped a few cool shots of the stones along the shoreline.  This one kind of reminds me of Jackson Pollock's famous painting.

 

We spent quite a bit of time wandering on the beaches, collecting small rocks (which may have been illegal), and enjoying the scenery.  Maggie was  a little apprehensive about the water at first, but she quickly warmed up.


Here are a couple of cool photos that dad took. 


As the afternoon wore on, it got a little hazy. I took some cool pictures at a spot where the sand dunes descend about 500 feet directly down to the water. By eye, it was difficult to see where the water ended and the sky began. I hope these pictures don't give you vertigo.




I'll post pictures from the rest of our trip shortly.  Stay tuned for pictures from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and from northern Wisconsin.

No comments:

Lucie Gymnastics Demo

 Lucie demonstrating her many gymnastics skills....