***since it has taken this long to post my story I didn't check spelling :{ and Maggie is hungry
Since I got pregnant my doctor, Dr. Christopher Glenn Seeker, always told me I had a ‘text book’ pregnancy. Well, he was right. I had no complications in this pregnancy. My baby girl was even born just one day before her due date. This is my version of the birth of Magdalena Clarisse Thibodeaux.
On June 6, 2009 around 12:01 am I started feeling mild period-like cramps and lower back pain. At first I thought I was constipated since it is quite common in pregnancy. I managed to fall asleep until around 4 am. I then proceeded to bug Chris on the couch telling him how I felt. I decided to eat a bowl of coca krispies and watch some TV (by the way nothing interesting is on at 4 am. I somehow fell asleep again until 8 am. The mild period-like cramps and back pain still persisted at the same pain level. Talked to Chris about it and he suggested I eat some watermelon to try and help me poop. I ate watermelon and another bowl of coca krispies. Nothing happen. I watched TV while Chris decided to go for a run. When he came back we went to get starbucks (tall soy mocha chip frappichino with no whip) because that always gets my digestive system going…you know what I mean J. Afterwards I was determined to get a ‘going home’ outfit for my baby. So the plan was to go to the mall and find two cute and adorable out Chris and I headed back home to relax. I managed to poop easily so then I ruled out that I was constipated. Around 2 pm I went into work for a couple of hours in order to talk to our new research assistant (he was going to continue my job when I was on maternity leave) and to pick up Jie’s fancy Nikon D200 camera. My so-called mild cramps and back pain continued. I decided to go to Target to find a red headband for the girl take home outfit I purchased a few hours earlier. Didn’t find one L on the way home I picked up dinner for Chris and I at Jason’s Deli. We both ordered the yummy delicious Texas spud. Went home and could not enjoy my spud completely b/c the cramps and back pain got a little more intense. I had to stop eating in between bites. I only ate half and then put the other half in the fridge for later (just to let you know I never did eat the other half). At this time it was around 4:30-5pm and Chris continued to watch LSU baseball. Around 6 pm I went to the bedroom b/c it was cold and dark, which felt comfortable for me. For the next hour I proceeded to time the contractions. Chris was sure I was going into labor, but I was not convinced. I read so much about false labor that I thought I was having that b/c we were assured by my OB (Dr. Christopher Seeker) that I was most likely going to deliver after my due date. In these days the doctors tell us don’t bother going to the hospital unless your contractions are 5 min apart and last one minute long for at least an hour. So the countdown began. Around 7 pm (40-45 minutes into the countdown—still needed around 15 minutes until I called doctor) I walked to the bathroom and felt like I peed in my pants. I was at the door of the bathroom when I called Chris and told him my water might have broken. Once again I was very skeptical b/c most women don’t even have their water break. So I informed him that it is possible that I peed in my pants. I walked to living room to see if anymore would come out (I read walk to see if your water broke and it should continue to leak). Nothing came so I thought I just peed. On the way to the bathroom more came out. Now I started getting nervous and the pain increased 100X. Finally I broke down and called the after hours nurse line. I explained everything, but was unable to talk to the nurse b/c he was pissing me off like she didn’t believe that my water broke. Chris took the phone/nurse outside to finish the conversation and I went back to my bed in pain. Ten minutes later Chris came to the bedroom and gave me the options the nurse gave us.
(1) Go in now
(2) Wait an hour and see if the contractions increase in intensity and get closer together
We decided to wait that is until once again the contractions were unbearable for me. So at 8:30pm we decided to go the hospital. Chris noticed that it was a full moon…oh no, our little was going to be a crazy werewolf. Around 8:45 pm the nurse took us up to a triage room and then proceeded to perform an internal exam with me. For some reason the exam was ten times more painful then when Dr. Seeker performed it. She moved the baby’s head and I felt a gush of water. She then confirmed that the baby’s head was not allowing the amniotic fluid to leak and that in fact my water did break. I wanted to tell her no shit. It gets better…she made lay in a bed full of amniotic fluid for another 15 minutes (at least that’s what it felt like). Anyways, she also informed me my cervix was 2 cm dilated. She asked if I can walk to the delivery room and I said yes b/c at the time I was not experiencing a contraction. But as soon as I stood a contraction started and I couldn’t exactly stand so she said she would get a wheel chair. When she came back all of a sudden I felt like I was going to puke. Two seconds later I did puke. So technically I didn’t get to eat any of that famous Jason’s deli Texas spud. We got moved to labor and delivery Room #4. Until 11 pm the severe, painful contractions were relentless and did not let me relax at all. Chris wants me to add that during on of the painful contractions that I happen to pass gas (it was a really really big fart) then I proceeded to laugh with him, but that hurt me worse. Finally, the anethiologists came in and gave me an epidural. Supposedly there were many walk-ins so everyone was busy and that’s why it took a couple of hours to get the epi. Chris and the nurse both held my hands because I was terrified. Then they proceeded to scare me more when I kept flinching with the preparation and told me that I CAN NOT move like that when they put the needle in. Well, as it turns out my back was so numb that I didn’t really feel that part. Five minutes later I didn’t feel any more contractions. I am now (not that I was against them before) an avid supporter of epidurals. I really don’t know what to think of people who decide not to get one. Are they crazy for wanting to suffer or they stronger than me? Well, for sure they are stronger, but dumber as well J I kid I kid (to each your own). After the epi was adminterestered I was back to my old self. Fast forward to around 11 pm…the nurse came back and checked my goodies. My cervix was 3.5 cm dilated and 85% effaced. The baby was still at -2 position. My cousin and her DH, Kristy and Javier, arrived at the hospital around 11:30am. Actually they got here right when the epi was being given, but were required to stay in the visiting room until it was done (hospital rules). At midnight we all tried to get some sleep before I had to push. I was nervous so I only took a few power naps. Every time I woke up I made Kristy call my parents to see where they were (they were driving from Corpus Christi). At 3:34 am the nurse checked my goodies again. My cervix was 4 cm dilated and 85% effaced. Baby decided to drop to the -1 position, but was face up and nurse informed us face down would make the labor easier. I was told to start alternating lying on each side to help flip baby. Epi was starting to wear off so I pressed my happy button twice and all was well. At 4:30 am my parents finally showed up and they brought their entourage (Edward, Gina, Olivia, Drago, grandma and grandpa ‘tilda) as well. Nurse was told by doctor Uribe to administer piocin to help speed up labor. Now that family is here they decide to check out our room. Well, let me be clear….my older brother decides to touch everything like a kid and then found the wand that controls the lighting. At 6:15 am the nurse checked again and my cervix was 8 cm dilated and 100% effaced. Baby dropped to 0 station so Chris likes to describe the baby in the batting cage, not quite yet on deck. At 6:30 am I finally transitioned into the labor phase (calm before the storm). At 7:49 started feeling the contractions and decided not to push my happy button in order to know when to push. Contractions felt like period cramps so I was not in pain. Okay pain increased so I increased the epi and started vomiting. Although nothing was in my stomach so only bile came up. After I increased the epi my back was so so so so itchy. DH and my mom didn’t want to scratch it b/c they said it was about to bleed. The nurse, DH, my mom, and cousin all stayed in the room while I tried to push baby deauxbaby’s head to the opening. At 9:58 I finally accomplished it and the nurse called in the troops (doctor and other people). Chris said the baby is at the plate! Until 10:33 am all I heard from everyone in the room was “That’s a lot of hair.” Seriously, I get it my baby has tons and tons of hair what I wanted to know was how far I had to go. Finally, my last push was at 10:33 am and Maggie entered the world. Chris announced to me and everyone else that I delivered a baby girl.
Now, for the rest of the hospital stay I could of done without. Since there were not enough nurses I stayed in the labor room until 9pm, which I did not complain b/c I knew the post-partum rooms were smaller. We ended up in a room that was right next to a room under construction. So Monday and Tuesday, starting at 8 am all I heard was banging and racket. Let’s just say it was not relaxing at all. Come Tuesday afternoon they finally released Maggie and I. We were able to take Maggie to her new home.
No comments:
Post a Comment